Search by either entering keywords or by selecting a product.
Setting a Static (Fixed) IP Address on a Buffalo LinkStation
Note: Before starting this procedure, decide on the IP address that will be assigned to the LinkStation. Make certain that you assign an address that is outside the available address pool of any DHCP servers (such as a wireless router) on the network. If you are uncertain about what address range is being used by your wireless router, please refer to the router's manual.
- Access Settings, the LinkStation's web user interface, by entering the current IP address of the unit into a web browser. If the current IP is unknown the unit can be located with NAS Navigator. If NAS Navigator is not installed follow the steps here for either Windows or Mac. Log in to Settings.
- From Settings, click the "Advanced Settings" tile.
- Click the "Network" tab on the left.
- Click on the widget to the right of "IP Address".
- Click on "LAN Port 1" to open the IP address settings for that port.
- The current configuration will be displayed. The default setting is for DHCP to be enabled so that the LinkStation gets an IP address automatically from a DHCP server. Click Edit to change the settings for LAN Port 1.
- From this dialog box you can make several changes. To set a static IP address, click the radio button to disable DHCP and then type in the IP address and subnet mask. You can also set the frame size, although in most cases it should be left at the default. Once you have the settings configured correctly, click OK.
- You will be asked to go to the new IP address. Once you get there, go back to the advanced settings and navigate to the network configuration screen.
- The list should now show the new IP address. At this point you may need to change the default gateway and DNS server settings if the values originally set by the DHCP server are no longer correct. If you need to change these values, click Change.
- In this dialog box you can change the default gateway and DNS server settings. If you are unsure what the values should be, leave them at their current settings.
- Setup is finished. Log out of Settings and close the web browser.