Search by either entering keywords or by selecting a product.
Solution: Use NovaBACKUP and WS5020 for server backup and use Hyper-V VM as a temporary server
Applies to model:
WS5020N6 / WS5020N9 Series Standard Edition
NovaBACKUP ® v19.4 or later
Creating a Shared Folder on Buffalo Windows Storage Server
Please refer to this KB article.
Install the Hyper-V role on Buffalo Windows Storage Server
• Install the Hyper-V role on Buffalo Windows Storage Server from the Server Manager.
For installation details, please refer to this Microsoft KB.
Configure Physical to Virtual (P2V) Backup using NovaBACKUP ®
• Make sure NovaBACKUP is installed on the Server that you want to backup.
• Add Buffalo Windows Storage Server Share to the network device as backup target
1. From the NovaBACKUP main menu, click “Add Network Device”
2. Enter the network path & access credentials of the Share which created on the Buffalo Windows Storage Server.
3. Once the Network Device has been created, it will be available at the Device tab.
• Configure the Server backup
1. On the NovaBACKUP main menu, choose “Image Backup”
2. Select “Image Backup Schedule” at the Operation Type.
3. Select Microsoft Virtual Drive (VHDX) as Backup Type.
4. Select the physical drives that need to be backed-up.
5. Click the “Backup to…” button to choose the backup destination.
If the Buffalo Windows Storage Server Share has been added as the Network device, select that network device.
6. Set the schedule of the backup task.
Enter a valid user account in order to run this job.
7. Once the configuration is done the job will show up at the “Schedule” tab.
8. Monitor the backup process from the Status tab.
Import Backup image to Hyper-V
1. Launch Hyper-V Manager on the Buffalo WS5020.
Create a New Virtual Machine.
2. Specify the Name and Location of the Virtual Machine. Click Next.
3. Specify the Generation of the Virtual Machine depending on which guest operating system you want to install and the boot method you want to use to deploy the virtual machine. Please refer to this Microsoft KB.
4. Assign memory for this Virtual Machine
5. At Connect Virtual Hard Disk, select “Use an existing virtual hard disk”, and click “Browse”
Navigate and select the VHDX file that was backed-up by the NovaBACKUP job.
6. Click Finish to complete the Virtual machine creation.
7. Once the Virtual Machine is created, click Start to turn-on the virtual machine.
8. Connect to the Virtual machine.
9. The Virtual machine is now ready to use as a temporary server.