Search by either entering keywords or by selecting a product.
Solution: Using NovaBACKUP image backup to local Buffalo WSS and to offsite NovaBACKUP Cloud
Creating a Shared Folder on Buffalo Windows Storage Server
Please refer to this KB article.
Configure Physical to Virtual (P2V) Backup using NovaBACKUP ®
• Make sure NovaBACKUP is installed on the Server that you want to backup.
• Add Buffalo Windows Storage Server Share to the network device as backup target
1. From the NovaBACKUP main menu, click “Add Network Device”
2. Enter the network path & access credentials of the Share which created on the Buffalo Windows Storage Server.
3. Once the Network Device has been created, it will be available at the Device tab.
• Configure the Server backup
1. On the NovaBACKUP main menu, choose “Image Backup”
2. Select “Image Backup Schedule” at the Operation Type.
3. Select Microsoft Virtual Drive (VHDX) as Backup Type.
4. Select the physical drives that need to be backed-up.
5. Click the “Backup to…” button to choose the backup destination.
Note: Select Overwrite previous image backup at this step to assure the VHDX is named the same every time. This way the backup to the cloud can utilize NovaBACKUP’s block level incremental. So that the backup window is smaller and conserves backend space.
For local retention capabilities we suggest creating a different image backup job and select another Share folder as destination on the WSS unit.
If the Buffalo Windows Storage Server Share has been added as the Network device, select that network device.
6. Set the schedule of the backup task.
Enter a valid user account in order to run this job.
7. Once the configuration is done the job will show up at the “Schedule” tab.
8. Monitor the backup process from the Status tab.
Offsite Backup the VHDX image to NovaBACKUP Cloud from Buffalo WSS NAS
• Download and install the NovaBACKUP client software on the Buffalo Windows Storage Server, following the instructions provided NovaBACKUP Cloud.
• Add the Cloud Storage device in NovaBACKUP client
1. After installation please click on the Cloud Backup option.
2. Log in the Cloud Cmon web portal using the username and password issued by the NovaBACKUP Cloud.
3. Once you login, click Add new cloud storage account to create a Cloud Storage Account for this Buffalo WSS NAS.
4. Keep in mind this is not a login for the Cloud Cmon web portal but rather for the credentials for the Cloud Storage device (pointing to NovaStor’s Hosted Cloud) inside the software you installed.
5. The WSS NAS will be linked to the NovaBACKUP Cloud automatically after the cloud storage account creation.
6. You should see the Cloud Storage now listed as Available Devices from the Device tab of the software.
• Setup offsite backup to NovaBACKUP Cloud
1. From the Backup tab, create a new backup task.
Locate and select the VHDX image file that was backed-up from the server side.
Note: Since we have selected “Overwrite previous image backup” at the server side VHDX backup, the VHDX file is named the same but overwritten every time.
This way the VHDX backup to the cloud can utilize NovaBACKUP’s block level incremental, which the backup window is smaller and conserves backend space.
From the lower left, confirm the backup destination is “Cloud Storage”. If not, click “Backup to…” to select.
In “Settings”, make sure the Backup Mode is set to Full (default).
2. Click “Schedule” to set the backup schedule.
You will be prompted to save the backup job if you have not saved yet.
3. At “Schedule Options”, select the desired time to run the Cloud backup.
Note: Estimate a timeframe to run Cloud backup which the server-side backup will not be running.
Click OK to complete.
4. The Cloud backup job will now be listed at the Schedule tab.
5. When the Cloud backup job started, monitor the backup progress from the Status tab.
6. You can also monitor all the cloud-linked devices‘ backup status from the NovaBACKUP Cloud Cmon web portal.