Search by either entering keywords or by selecting a product.
Configuring Backup on a Buffalo LinkStation
- Access Settings, the LinkStation's web user interface, by entering the current IP address of the unit into a web browser. If the current IP is unknown the unit can be located using NAS Navigator. If NAS Navigator is not installed, download and install the application from the Buffalo downloads page.
- The settings should open to the default to the Easy Admin screen. Click on the "Advanced Settings" tile. You may be asked to log in with the "Admin" account.
- If you are backing up to an external USB drive attached to the LinkStation, click on the "Drives" tab. If you are backing up to another LinkStation or TeraStation, skip to step 6.
- Click on the configuration widget next to "USB Drives".
- Make sure the USB drive appears and that it is formatted for EXT3. If it is not, format the drive as an EXT3 drive. Click Close when finished.
- Click on the "Backup" tab, then click on the configuration widget next to "Backup".
- Click Create New Job.
- Give the backup job a name. Click Add to add folders.
- Click Browse under "Backup Source Folder Name" to add a source folder (the folder containing data that needs to be backed up).
- Select the folder that needs to be backed up from the list of folders.
- Click Browse under "Backup Target Folder Name" to select the destination for the backup.
- If you are backing up to an external USB drive, select it from the list. It will appear as "unit-name@usbdiskx" in the list. If you are backing up to another LinkStation or TeraStation, select it from the list. It will appear as "unit-name@foldername" in the list.
- You can now select other options for the backup. To select when the backup will occur, click the drop-down box for "Schedule".
- Select how often you want the backup to run. For data that doesn't change very often a less frequent schedule will work. If this is data that changes frequently, back up more often. For this tutorial we will select "Immediately", which runs a one-time backup immediately.
- Click the drop-down next to "Operation Mode" to choose the backup type.
- Select the other options as desired. For this tutorial we are going to select the option not to back up the recycle bin. Click OK when finished.
- The backup job should now be listed. Click Close to return to the main GUI.
- On the "Backup" tag, our immediate backup job is now running.
- If we browse to the USB drive from NAS Navigator, we see that a new folder has been created that holds the backup job.